MYROLE RTM1- Featured GrASS on 25 Jan 2011, 330pm

GrASS's Product Video

For more information on our products please visit our product site: CLICK HERE

We Need YOUR HELP

Dear Friends,

We here at GrASS need your help to help us gather the below mentioned items to help us raise funds for our shelter and other independent pet rescuers.

The items are:

Scrap Paper
Old Newspapers
Old Magazines
Unwanted uncooked/raw Acidic Fruits ( Oranges, pineapples, lime,lemons)
Unwanted uncooked/raw fruits
Unwanted uncooked/raw Vegetables
Brown Sugar
Rice Bran
Red Earth
Glass Jars/Plastic containers with lids
Cardboard boxes (any other cardboard materials)
Aluminium Cans
Expired Food Products

For more ways on how or what items you can donate to help please visit HERE


Saturday, January 17, 2009

Article: Guide dogs allowed

WHEEL POWER By ANTHONY THANASAYAN

The recent Raya break brought glad tidings.

LAST week’s Raya holidays were terrific. I learnt valuable lessons about life through several events that unfolded during Aidilfitri. They all had to do with the wisdom of putting other peoples’ needs before our own, especially those less privileged than us.

The first was a wonderful piece of news I heard on BBC.

It was reported that a mosque in Britain had become the first of its find to allow a guide dog to accompany its Muslim owner into the building. The owner’s dad, Gafar Khatri, was thrilled with the new development.

“Now thanks to Vargo the guide dog, my son Mohammed Abraar Khatri can go wherever he wants without depending on others,” said Khatri whose 18-year-old son is a student in Leicester.
Abraar is full of praise for the religious authorities. He was touched that they regarded it as their duty to help him. According to BBC, the Muslim Law (Shari’ah) Council UK recently issued a fatwa which allows guide dogs inside mosques.

However, it did not include inside prayer rooms.

The move was a result of the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association and the Muslim Council of Britain working together to support Abraar’s request.

Guide Dogs for the Blind said it “hoped that mosque leaders - both in the UK and internationally - will now make similar adjustments to enable Muslim guide dog owners to enter the mosques.”

A special rest area is available for Vargo at the entrance of the Bilal Jamia Mosque while his owner is praying.

The BBC quoted Mohammad Shahid Raza, director of the Imams and Mosques Council UK as saying: “I believe that in all new mosques such facilities for disabled people will be an essential part of their design.

“The Bilal Mosque is going to provide special provision for such guide dogs to be kept safely and securely within the mosque complex during such visits.

“Such a facility will highlight the Islamic attitude of helping disabled people and enhance the services we provide to the Muslim community.”

In Malaysia, we have no problems with police, drugs and bomb sniffer dogs entering public buildings, joining national parades, shows, etc. But why do some of us still have reservations when it comes to highly trained canines whose job is to enhance the quality of life of the disabled?
My second lesson came when I had to take my mobile phone to the Nokia Service Centre in Kuala Lumpur just before the holidays. Fortunately, my wheelchair and disabled-friendly car were not an obstacle to the folks there when I arrived.

I was met at the car park by a senior manager who accompanied me all the way to the 13th floor, and back to my car later. Because of his help, I could complete the task I set out to do in just half an hour. It gave me a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

A few days later, I was hit by the mobile blues again. This time, it was Maxis’s turn to do a good deed. I could not receive e-mail due to a glitch in the configuration. After discovering that I was in a wheelchair, one of the technical experts offered to visit me at home to help me out. However, I insisted on driving to his office instead.

So there we were: me, parked by the side of a busy main road beside KLCC, while the technician and his colleague worked on my phone for more than an hour until the problem was solved.

Meanwhile, we were surrounded by eager tourists taking pictures of KLCC, wanting to catch a glimpse of what Malaysia is all about.

I wanted to call out to everyone and say: “Hey, here’s a true Kodak moment for you!”

This article was taken from: The Star Online: Lifestyle: Focus 9 October 2008

No comments: